A lot of people in the world are suffering from disorders of sleep and hence their lives have turned out to be really miserable. When was the last time you felt that you are feeling fresh the time you wake up, can you recall that. If you cannot recall having a restful sleep, then you must know that you are suffering from a sleep disorder in which you are not having enough rest and feeling fatigued.
We are living our lives in a very stressful era where the minutes and hours are all tied up together and we do not have enough time at our end until the day ends and another day starts. In such hectic times, we need to understand that our performance and our sharpness of our skills depend a lot on how good we sleep. If we are unable to sleep or have a poor sleep for one day, this means that our whole week is affected where we are feeling down and drowsy and this is truly very dangerous if one is driving.
Then when we take a good sleep, our body feels rested and we feel that we can perform the tasks at hand at best. This is really very important for us to know that we need to take a good enough sleep every night to be able to be at our best in performing the activities of daily living. Because if we do not, we are unable to concentrate and that would result in us being too irritable.
Lack of sleep can occur because of many factors such as loss of job, divorce, being not able to catch up with daily tasks, anxiety, etc. If a person is suffering from lack of sleep then it can cause depression and other medical problems such as significant variation in blood pressure, loss of libido, increased fatigue, irritability, mood swings etc. This all is happening only because of lack of sleep. It is important for us to note that all of these things are happening just because of lack of sleep. There are a few things that you can adopt in your life to make sure that you get a good night sleep.
1. You must not go to bed hungry, do have a little snack about an hour or so before you go to bed so that you are not going to sleep on an empty stomach, as this can be a cause of lack of sleep. Also do not eat spicy foods before you go to bed or at dinnertime because it can cause increased heartburn and this can lead to a painful condition, which will prevent you from falling asleep.
2. Do not drink plenty of water before you go to sleep because it will keep waking you up and will cause you to have frequent visits to restroom and will break your sleep multiple times at night, therefore you just need to not drink plenty of water before you are going to bed.
3. Avoid taking products that have caffeine in it such as chocolate, sodas, tea and coffee. All these products that have caffeine in it are stimulant and thus can cause you to be awake for a number of hours and will prevent you from going to sleep.
4. If you are a smoker, you must not smoke before you go to sleep, as cigarettes has nicotine in it, and nicotine being a stimulant will prevent you from having a good night sleep and will keep you awake for a couple of hours and will take away those precious hours from you that you could have slept and had a restful sleep.
5. You must make sure that you have the right environment for you to sleep. There are a lot of people who can only sleep if they have a dim light or no lights at all before they sleep so that they are able to initiate their sleep cycle.
6. Just do not have an alcoholic beverage before you go to sleep because alcohol causes snoring and sleep apnea and this will disrupt your sleep throughout the night.
7. It is important that you do not get anxious before you go to sleep, for example, do not do any office work before you are going to rest that causes you to have anxiety spells or will make you nervous. This will prevent you from having a good night sleep and you will wake up unrefreshed and with a bad feeling.
8. Do not do any physical activity before you are going to bed because this will take away the feelings of needing to sleep and will make you feel like you can be up for hours and this will just disrupt your sleep wake cycle. Therefore it is really important that you do not exercise before you go to sleep.
These are little things that you can do to improve your sleep habits and can help you live a better and a healthier life.