You might have heard of Low Volume Training, as it is a popularly followed routine in weightlifting and mma training. In low volume training or high intensity training, you rest your body in sessions involving higher volume and maintain your muscle mass as well. It is based on the concept that rest would improve the efficiency of your weightlifting routine as it increases strength and promotes growth. There are a number of things you must know about low volume training before you incorporate it into your regimen –
1.The Basics Of Low Volume Training – The number of repetitions or reps in low volume training is minimum in number and this is what Low Volume Training is based on. These limited reps are seamlessly blended with traditional weightlifting to create a successful regimen. Hence, you would be allowed to increase the weight as you progress through your routine. The routine starts with more reps that slowly keep reducing. Thus, after your four-week cycle, your muscles would have experience the descending rep routine with increasing weights.
2.The Routine To Be Followed In Low Volume Training – The pattern suggested by experts for the four week routine is as follows –
• First Week – Not less than eighteen and not more than thirty reps
• Second Week – Not less than thirteen and not more than seventeen reps
• Third Week – About twelve reps
• Fourth Week – Not less than three and not more than seven reps
You have to use higher weights on your low rep weeks. The idea is that when you finish your set, you should be exhausted. Hence, when the weights are low, the sheer number of reps would tire you out and when the reps are low, the weight will compensate for the exhaustion. Take some time off after you finish about 3 cycles (consisting of four weeks each) because your body needs to rest before your routine begins again.
3. The Kind Of Weights To Use – It is recommended that you take the professional guidance of a trainer for this step because it is crucial to both your mma training and your health. Particularly during the heavy weight- low reps period, it could cause serious injury if you make a mistake regarding the right exercise. The trainer will teach you about simple but important things like hand placement or the right machine to use
4. Other Important Things To Take Care – Don’t think that low volume training is easy because it isn’t. It requires strength and resolve and is pretty difficult. Make sure that you are working out your entire body and not just one half of it. Always count your repetitions when you work out specific halves of your body to make sure that they are both getting equal attention.
Tools like exercise log are available in the market that make matters easier for you and keep count of the reps and weights you work. Make a proper plan and write it down to prevent confusion.